Tuesday 14 February 2012

Valentine's Day

Yes, it's Valentine's Day. And yes, I'm one of the plethora of people who disagree with the consumerism of the whole event, entirely. But at the same time, I do like what it stands for. NO, not that it stands for couples making girls and women alike feel weepy, and left out, and alone, and just generally horrible. I like that it stands for love.

Now, now, now, hear me out. While Valentine's Day is supposed to be about 'relationship love', I honestly think it should be an 'all-sorts-of-love' day. And while, its' most basic essence is that of 'relationship love', I think that there is a few minority who just believe that it's a day for love spreading and appreciating who you're surrounded by. So, here's my list of people-who-i-love-but-not-in-a-romantic-way-but-i-appreciate-them:


My Family: As much as my brother is bothersome, and as much as my mum is OCD-clean-freaky, and as much as I never see my dad or my little sisters, I love them all. I love my brother, because he's given me unlimited patience, and has started hugging me and stopped calling me derogatory terms (aka he's growing up. *sniffs* my little brother is becoming a big boy - yes I realise he's fourteen, but that isn't the point). I love my mum because she's there and she will always help me and despite her doubts, she's willing to support me. I love my dad because he always makes me laugh and doesn't freak out when I drive and I hate it that I can never see him because of work (ditto with sisters).

Best Friend A: I've known Best Friend A (Rachael) since I was six. If there is anyone who knows me inside-out, it's her. She's my loud, beast of a friend who will willingly beat any boy up who breaks my heart, and she's got an ego that can't quite compare to anybody elses. She's the best. I really, really, really, really hope she gets an OP1 so she can go into medicine. She'd be an awesome doctor.

Best Friend B: Best Friend B (Georgia) is a more recent edition, but she's the sweetest, bestest, person alive. If I need to discuss anything Doctor Who or movies or life, she's there with a quirky remark. I love her with all my heart. She always knows what to say to make my day. I'm going to miss her heaps if she moves away for university.

Best Friend A and B are not in preferential order, they are my bestest friends equally.

My Internet Friends: Without you guys, I don't know what I'd be like now. I truly don't.

Books: I know this is a bit of a cheat, but so many books have shaped me as a person, and I think that if I weren't such a voracious reader, the person I would be, would be entirely different to who I am now.


Really, if I think about it, just generally life. I don't think people realise how much they depend on others to help them out, and shape them as people. I tend to think of people as lots of memories moulded into one frame, and that sometimes those memories bring out different layers and facets of your character, depending on who you're with. If it weren't for the human capacity to love, I think the world would be a much more bitter place.

Even if you don't like how Valentine's Day is marketed, use it as a day to appreciate those you love. Because that's the most important thing; love.

\\This appears to be a recurring theme, doesn't it? Not on purpose, promise! Ok, I'm going to go off and do school work now. It's going to be uber fun.\\

No comments:

Post a Comment