Friday 1 October 2010

Clockwork Angel Review.

Hello all!
I thought to myself just then, 'I think it's about time I wrote another review', so TADA!
The following review is Clockwork Angel, which was written by Cassandra Clare.

The novel, Clockwork Angel is a prequel to The Mortal Instruments Series (also written by Ms Clare). It is based in Victorian England, in the year 1877. A young girl named Tessa Gray arrives in Southampton after receiving a mysterious ticket from her brother in New York. Her aunt has just passed away. So she arrives in England, awaiting her brother, when the mysterious Dark Sisters come and pick her up. Her brother is nowhere to be found. This is when Tessa is introduced into the Downworld. Filled with warlocks, vampires and other mythological creatures, Tessa is pushed into a world she has never known. She seeks refuge from Shadowhunters, and the story really evolves from there (sorry, I just don't want to give away too much for those of you who don't like spoilers).

One thing that I immediately picked up on, and liked, was the fact that the author managed to make it that you didn't have to have read The Mortal Instruments Series beforehand. I liked this as it does make it a separate novel from the other series, despite the fact that they are interconnected through the prequel thing.

I immediately liked the characters. Somehow, Ms Clare manages to create the most brilliant characters. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but she does it amazingly. There's the whole 'Team Will', 'Team Jem' thing going on, and instead of finding it annoying (like I did with that of the Twilight series), it actually just confuses me more. Jem and Will are both extremely well written characters and I personally had a hard time picking out who I prefered. It came down to humour though, and I had to give it to Will. And probably his charm. *throws arms in air* I don't know! I'll have to say this, though. Tessa and I? We'd get along like a candle on fire. I absolutely adore her sense of humour and her love of books. I feel that I can relate to her on so many different levels, from boy problems to her taste in novels, it's incredible.

Cassandra Clare wrote really REALLY well and had to leave us on a cliffhanger. I can not wait for Clockwork Prince to come out next year! It will be one of the highlights!

There's also been some debates going around about which is the better series: The Infernal Devices series, or The Mortal Instruments series. My thoughts? Infernal Devices. This is merely because I am a quixotic dreamer, who completely wishes that she lived in the 19th century.

Have a fun time reading loverlies!
&dftba. xox

BOOK CURRENTLY READING: Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous... haven't read Clockwork Angel yet. Love The Mortal Instruments series, tho. Great review.

    ReplyDelete