Sunday 25 May 2014

Things I'm Digging | May 2014.

Oh my god. It's nearly halfway through 2014. I feel like I've been utterly useless. This is ridiculous.

TV
Admittedly, this one isn't actually out yet. But. It looks pretty wicked. Yes, I'm talking about How to Get Away with Murder. It just looks like it has the potential to fascinating. Viola Davis is in it. A+. Alfie Enoch is in it. A++.


MOVIE
This is a bit of a cheat, but I'm going to say The Fault in Our Stars. I know, I know. It isn't out in cinemas yet. But I've seen it. So. The Fault in Our Stars has always very finely tread the line of cheesy and good, so I was a little hesitant. I shouldn't have been. There's something so authentic about it. It isn't trying to be anything but itself. I love it. You need to watch it. Ok. Done.


MUSIC
Lily Allen's new Album, Sheezus. I still don't like the album name. I don't think I ever will. But it's a good album. She's matured, and her songs have along with her. There's still the special Lily Allen Snark and Cheek, but it's good. Really digging it. Some of her songs just make me smile (I'm looking at you, L8 Cmmr).


BOOK/S
Unsurprisingly, I have two book recommendations this month. Unlike last month, I read a whole bag of goodies. I tried to keep it to a non-fiction and a fiction book though. My non-fiction choice for this month is Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. This is a bit of a feminist manifesto. It's about women in the workplace and taking on leadership roles. When I was talking to the Mother about it, all I kept saying was, 'It's like all these things I'd been taking in subconsciously were being voiced.' If I had to critique anything, it'd be that as the book progressed, it became clear that it was aimed at women older than myself (it discussed having children, balancing motherhood and work, etc. etc. as an 18-year old, you can understand why it was a bit out of my depth). Not to worry, however! If you, like me, are on the younger scale of womanhood, Ms Sandberg released a new edition! Lean In: For Graduates! Needless to say, I'm definitely picking it up soon.

The fiction book I absolutely adored this May was The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski. I'm only mildly obsessed. I can honestly not wait till the next book. I kind of want to say that if you're a fan of Throne of Glass, you'll like this, but I'm not sure if I should. Where Celaena is a badass killing machine, Kestrel is much more of a strategiser. Where Celaena is very sure of herself from the get-go, Kestral takes a little time to develop. And I'm still not sure where I stand on Arin. What I am, however, is absolutely fascinated to see where the story will go next. Basically, it's already on my list of top reads of 2014.


MAKEUP/FASHION
I'm going to have to go with the L'Oreal Super Liner Perfect Slim (in Intense Black) for this month. It just makes applying liquid liner so easy (and coming from someone with little to no hand-eye coordination, that's the highest compliment you can get). I've tried a couple of liquid liners in my life, and this is the best, by far.

&&&

What about you guys? Any books that are new favourites? Movies you're forcing everyone to watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment