Tuesday 6 May 2014

The Fault In Our Stars: Movie Edition.

So, I've seen The Fault In Our Stars movie. One of the cousins and I entered a Bookworld competition and somehow we won. This all happened last week. The actual viewing of the movie happened last night. So, I'm sorry if I'm not entirely coherent but it's been a whirlwind of a week (and I only just woke up). I thought I should share my thoughts.

I'll admit I was a bit of a naive little fool coming into the cinema. I was going in with the same expectations I had with the book: it was going to be good, and I might cry but maybe not.

Oh boy, was I wrong.

I don't want to hype it up too much because there's nothing worse than when you think something's going to be really good and you come away disappointed. But guys, it's really good. I haven't read the book  since it was first released (and I regret that a little bit. I wish I'd re-read it so it was a little fresher in my mind), but I think they did an A+ job. Fantastic direction, fantastic script, fantastic cast.

If I had to choose one thing you guys should take from this, it really is the strength of the cast. They were insane. I won't lie, I had some reservations about Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. They totally owned their roles though. I was blown away. Truly. So much for trying to downplay it.

Ok. So. The crying. Like I mentioned above, I was a little naive. I'd hoped I wouldn't cry. I was lying to myself the entire time. It really was like when I was reading the book.

Beginning: This isn't sad? Why are people saying it's so sad? Pfft, I'm not going to cry.

Then they got to Amsterdam. You know the scene where Hazel and Gus go to Oranjee and Gus is just looking at her in her blue dress and everything? Well, at that point I knew I was screwed. I knew I was going to cry at least once in this movie. I was tearing up over that because I'm a useless cry baby.

Then it got to the eulogy part. I don't want to spoil things in case some of you readers haven't read the book but that part where Isaac and Gus and Hazel are in the church. I lost it. Nat Wolff (who plays Isaac) totally broke me in that scene. He just delivered it all so perfectly and I couldn't stop crying. Can I marry you Nat Wolff?

I kept crying for a little bit longer. I think I probably would've kept crying, but then the hysterical cryers of the cinema emerged. It's amazing how off-putting loud crying is? It just kind of detracted from the movie and my personal devastation. The art of silent crying is something you young ones must learn.

And it was so (not exactly) frustrating (but a little bit frustrating) because I'd be in tears and then one of the characters would say something funny, and my brain was not taking these extreme emotions well.

But yes. Basically (obviously) this was towards the end of the movie. The hysterical cryers came out louder and prouder. You know the rest. I just. I'm so emotionally devastated. And drained.

And I don't know if I'm going to see the film when it properly comes out in cinemas because hysterical cryers. (Won't lie, I feel like I'm being harsh but it was just so distracting). Maybe if it's the middle of the day. In the middle of the week.

So, yep. I don't know what else to say. Any questions? Anyone have a way I can meet Nat Wolff and then charm him with my wiles so he thinks I'm cool? Did anyone else see this movie in Australia last night? Thoughts?



There was also a little high from John Green which surprised me, but then there was a little hi from Ed Sheeran and I verbally gasped at that. Was not expecting it at all. I think that might just be a pre-screening thing. Bloody Ed Sheeran. I love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment