Friday 14 June 2013

Clockwork Princess | Cassandra Clare

I thought it was about time this blog made a return to book reviews, so here is my first review since forever (no but seriously. my last review I wrote on here was sometime in 2010. let's hope my reviewing skills are up to scratch).

I thought I'd discuss Clockwork Princess, the final book in the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare.

"Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy. 

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her."
(Synopsis from Goodreads)

I didn't know how much I could say about the plot without being spoiler-y, so I thought better safe than sorry and thus, you are getting the synopsis straight from Goodreads/the back of the book. 

Moving on! Overall, I found Clockwork Princess rather enjoyable. It was a joy to return to the Shadowhunter world and see how Tessa and the boys were going.

Plot
Generally, I really found the plot enjoyable. It was a compelling read, we got answers for things we were unsure of, there was death, love, happiness, and tragedy. What more could you want in a book?

One thing that truly let it down for me, though, was the epilogue. Obviously, some people love it and thought it was a great ending, but I didn't really. Honestly, I feel like the epilogue was there to keep the readers happy. Personally, I feel like if Clare had left it with the last chapter, I would've been satisfied. There was enough closure that I wouldn't have had any urges to know how many kids they had or what happened to the other families (remembering that there is a family tree at the back of the book), simply because I got a basic understanding that they would've had a happy life.

I know that's quite harsh, but it just felt really unnecessary to me and the quality of the overall manuscript just went down a notch once I'd read it.

Characters
As always, all the characters were loveable and great. Tessa continued being an interesting heroine and protagonist who was very easily relatable (especially because of her love of books). Jem continued being a lovely character despite certain things occurring in the plot. Will, however was very, very different. After certain events in Clockwork Prince, he could suddenly do and act differently and it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Nobody likes a kill-joy and a continually brooding love interest and seeing a different side to him, made him more relatable,  more three-dimensional and just that much more adorable. 

Setting
As always with Cassandra Clare's work, the setting is almost a character in itself. Very well thought out and clearly really well researched, this book is just as high a quality as her other novels. It is so clear that Clare has done her research on the time, and it makes my historical-loving heart so happy. The details really make the novel what it is.

Writing
Generally, I enjoyed her writing. I especially appreciated her references to Dickens and other classic writers. Sometimes it could get annoying, but I always love a character who can appreciate a good novel. It was well-written and despite a few hiccups,  I generally found that I could not put it down.

---

Overall, this was generally a good ending to the Infernal Devices trilogy, and while I don't think I'll pick up anymore of Cassandra Clare's books based in the Shadowhunter world, I was happy to have read such a great series that really gave attention to detail in regards to historical accuracies.

---

- || Important Things You Might Like to Know || -
Rating | 4.5 Stars
Pages | 568 (paperback edition)
Publication Date | March 2013
Publisher | Walker Books (australian edition)

Quote
"I'm afraid to answer that. I've heard that when I speak, it makes American women wish to strike me with umbrellas"

No comments:

Post a Comment